South Africa Safaris


It was summer and time for a holiday. What I wanted was to go on one of the many South African safaris available, I wanted to see elephants and I did not want to worry about malaria. This all added up to one place: Addo Elephant


Why so worried about malaria?
Although I have nothing against travelling to areas where tourists are warned against malaria, you usually have to start with medication before hand. There was not enough time for me to start the procedure, so the only option for a safari was to go on a malaria free safari, which happened to be in the Eastern Cape Province where the Addo Elephant National Park is located.

Originally created as a sanctuary for the eleven remaining elephants of this area, the success of Addo Elephant Park became home to more than 450 elephants today. Subsequently the park had to be expanded and now also houses Cape buffalos, the endangered black rhino, lions, spotted hyenas and a number of antelope species. The park lies deep within the dense bushveld of Sundays River region and what is really is striking about this National Park is its unrivalled natural diversity. Of South Africa's seven major vegetation zones, five features in the Addo Elephant Park and to top it all off, instead of the Big 5, they have the Big 7 which includes: elephant, lion, buffalo, leopard, rhino with the two extra being whales and the great white shark!

Amakhala Safari Lodge
All arrangements seemed perfect, except for one small detail, accommodation. I must admit I was little disappointed that I couldn't find accommodation within the park, but booking at such late notice, I had nobody but myself to blame. I was very relieved though when I found accommodation at the Amakhala Safari Lodge, which was located very near to both the Shamwari and Addo Elephant Park.
It never ceases to amaze me just how beautiful South African nature is! I'm sitting on the veranda overlooking a valley that is, as far as the eye can see, covered with lush green bushveld, a clear sunny sky, the weather not too hot and wild birds' creating the ambience for the perfect day. In moments like this you appreciate the finer things in life, a good glass of wine, paired with a platter of cheeses and a good book.

Addo Elephant Park
My first safari trip to the Addo Elephant Park was brilliant! I've never seen a black rhino before so when I had my first encounter, I couldn't believe just how big this animal really is. The tour guide informed us that this was the largest male in the park and that he has quite the reputation as the local Romeo, since he has fathered most of the calves that were born in the park. We saw gemsbok, black wildebeest, buffalos, springboks and of course, my favourite amongst the animal kingdom, elephants. With their majestic strides their troop was slowly moving towards the river banks. I've never seen so many cameras being pulled out of their covers all at once. While the elephants were playing in the water, the tourists and I got trigger happy with our cameras.
I was sure that I got a few keepsakes and I was content to continue on our safari towards the ocean shore. This is the one big thing that sets Addo Elephant Park aside from any other South African park, the fact that they have both marine and land wildlife. Although we did not see a white shark, we were fortunate enough to see whales. During their breeding season the Southern Right Whales swim down to the Cape Town area where they stay for a few weeks before moving on again. In one day I got the chance to see both the biggest land and sea mammals! What more could you ask for on a holiday?
I think that even though this was a holiday that really needed better preparation, everything, from accommodation to the safari trip was well above anything I expected. By the time I was on my way back home I felt well rested and really pleased with the fact that I got to see both elephant and whale in one day. Not many have had the pleasure of such an experience